Monday, August 25, 2008

Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

I watched the video, which showed how much and how fast things are changing in the world of technology. Also read 'away from the Icebergs' and the 'OCLS newsletter'. What does it mean to me? Well, it is all quite mind boggling. I am aware that libraries are run so differently from 10 years ago, when life was so simple and one just borrowed one book at a time! Technology is a major part of libraries now and this fact is something that will grow as years go past.Patrons are already using access to collections and databases on line as they can do this without leaving home. However, libraries are and will remain very important to the community. Books are here to stay. Having access to up to date information via websites will be an important part of life but certainly not as cosy as curling up in a favourite chair with a great book.Some of you will no doubt be in the digital age with your new toys, but I don't possess one digital item and they are just not on my list of must haves in life. I prefer contact with real people and real books, not machines. The rest of my life will not be wasted in front of a computer screen, in isolation!
Last words on this - well, I agree that libraries will be able to serve many patrons with all the info they have now and everything that they will be able to access as it comes on line.

No comments: